MCA Kelana Jaya

马华雪州格拉那再也区会

Ong Chong Swen

王 锺 璇

Today is :

Home 王鍾璇 Up My Profile 个人简介 My Views 忠言闲话 EVENTS   活动栏 Interview  专访 MCA KJ格拉那再也马华 GALLERY  活动走廊 ElectionNews选举新闻 Contact 联络 Links Search

 
 

Back Up Next

Friday September 30, 2011

MPBJ recruits more people to monitor garbage collection

By JAYAGANDI JAYARAJ and AIDA AHMAD
metro@thestar.com.my

THE Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) is all set to take over the garbage collection services from Alam Flora beginning Oct 16.

Mayor Datuk Mohamad Roslan Sakiman said the city council had added 40 more people to its existing 15 to monitor cleaning work and rubbish collection.

“A team of 15 is not enough as we need more people to monitor the work.

“So, we are recruiting more people from the Health and Environment Department to meet this objective as we do not want a rubbish crisis in Petaling Jaya,” he said at the fullboard meeting on Wednesday.

He added that taking over after more than 10 years of privatisation was going to be challenging but MBPJ would be able to tackle the problems.

Roslan said the city council would still be using the same group of contractors to carry out the work.

http://thestar.com.my/archives/2011/9/30/central/m_pg03ssrubbish.jpg

Unsightly: In SS13/3D, the residents are faced with the problem of uncollected rubbish in front of a kindergarten.

“However, should they slack, the council can take action against them now as it had the power to terminate errant contractors.

“We will be using the same contractors until Dec 31 and monitor their overall performance.

“In the meantime if any issues crop up, we have our back-up task force,” he added.

Selangor has already taken over the cleaning and maintenance services from Alam Flora in August.

The planned takeover of garbage collection services on Oct 16 is ahead of the scheduled Jan 1 deadline.

The takeover of these services is calculated to save the 12 local councils a total of RM100mil a year from the RM400mil spent previously for garbage collection and cleaning services.

“The money saved, according to the Selangor government, will be channelled back to the respective councils to upgrade their equipment and manpower for cleaning services.

Meanwhile, many residents in Subang Jaya are unhappy with rubbish collection services and indiscriminate dumping.

This was told to Kelana Jaya MCA division chief Ong Chong Swen by residents during a walkabout in Subang Jaya in August.

The party members embarked on the walkabout, which covered 12 zones in the township, to listen to the problems of residents.

“We have been receiving emails from the residents, since February, complaining about poor sanitary conditions and poor management of public amenities.

“Many areas which are not well maintained have also become mosquito-breeding grounds,” said Ong at the Kelana Jaya MCA office.

Some of the problematic areas that were highlighted during the walkabout were PJS 7/15, SS13, SS19, USJ 1, USJ 6, SS17 and USJ 14.

“The bins were overflowing with rubbish near the flats in PJS 7/15 and it does not look like a day-old problem.

“Along SS13/3D, the residents are faced with the problem of uncollected rubbish in front of a kindergarten,” she said.

Ong added that road signs in SS19/1C were missing.

“The public park in SS19 is also filled with rubbish and not properly maintained.”

Ong took MPSJ councillors to task for neglecting to upkeep the roads and parks in USJ.

“The park in USJ 5/2 has broken benches and uncovered drains, which is dangerous to children.

“The perimeter fencing along Persiaran Kemajuan is falling apart and is an eyesore,” she said.

Some residents in USJ 14 have complained of lack of street lighting in the neighbourhood.

“The councillors should look into these problems,” said Ong.

She added that Subang Jaya, which was once deemed as an elite township was now poorly maintained.

Ong also urged restaurant operators to beef up security measures in their kitchens before closing for the day.

She was referring to the gas-pipe explosion, which occurred at the lower ground floor of the Empire Shopping Gallery on Wednesday.

“Luckily there were no fatalities. The people in charge should be aware of the security measures,” she added

 

 

 

 
Home 王鍾璇 Up My Profile 个人简介 My Views 忠言闲话 EVENTS   活动栏 Interview  专访 MCA KJ格拉那再也马华 GALLERY  活动走廊 ElectionNews选举新闻 Contact 联络 Links Search
 
 
Copyright © 2008-2009 Ong Chong Swen
This website was last modified on : Friday, 13 December, 2013

Hit Counter